Golden Isles 2017 Visitor Guide Page 30 Heritage & Culture

30 2017 Official Visitor Guide HERITAGE & CULTURE (800) 933-2627 25,000 B.C. The Golden Isles formed following the Pleistocene Ice Age. Larger islands, such as St. Simons Island, are estimated to be between 35,000 - 40,000 years old. The smaller islands, like Little St. Simons Island, were formed from the larger islands and are believed to be about 5,000 - 7,000 years old. 1566 - 1685 Spanish missions were established along the coast. A prominent mission formed at Fort King George in present-day Darien, about 10 miles north of Brunswick. This mission, called Santo Domingo Talejo, later moved to the northern end of St. Simons Island and was renamed Asao. 1742 The troops at Fort Frederica sprang to action July 1742 for the Battle of Bloody Marsh. With the help of the Scottish Highlanders from Darien, Oglethorpe's men defeated the Spanish, who were planning to take over the Georgia coast and add it to their Florida territory. 1810 The first St. Simons Lighthouse was completed. The lighthouse was built by James Gould. The original lighthouse stood 85 feet tall and its base was made of tabby, part of which probably came from the ruins at Frederica. This lighthouse was later destroyed by Confederate troops during the Civil War to prevent Union forces from using it to navigate the coast. The current lighthouse was built in 1872 and still serves as an active aid to navigation. 1790s - 1861 During the plantation period, there were 10-14 plantations located on St. Simons Island. Plantations, like Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation, were also found in Brunswick as well as on Jekyll Island. Rice, cotton, sugar and other agricultural products were grown on these plantations. Rice was produced at Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation until 1913, when the plantation transitioned to a dairy farm. Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation is still standing today and is open to the public for tours. 1820 Christ Church, chartered in 1808, was built near the site of Fort Frederica. The church was also badly damaged during the Civil War. Anson Dodge, Jr. rebuilt Christ Church in 1884 as a memorial to his first wife, who died in India on their honeymoon. 1736 Fort Frederica and the town of Frederica was established by British General James Oglethorpe on the west side of St. Simons Island. 44 men and 72 women and children were the first settlers at Frederica. A second fort, Fort St. Simons, was built a few years later near the present day Lighthouse and Pier area. 2500 B.C. Guale and Mocama Indians made their way to the coast, fishing, hunting and gathering oysters to survive in the area. Middens, large areas of oyster shells and other refuse discarded by Native Americans, still exist today and can be seen in undeveloped areas on St. Simons Island and on Little St. Simons Island. 1754 Following the military successes on St. Simons Island, England signed a peace treaty with Spain. British troops were withdrawn from Fort Frederica. A fire in 1758 badly damaged the town of Frederica and it eventually became a lost town. HISTORY TIMELINE

Previous Page
Next Page